CDWV will provide the individual case management to women veterans in need.
According to the latest data from the Department of Veterans Affairs and Housing and Urban Development Homelessness Veteran Reporting 2017
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported a drop in veteran unemployment in 2015, but even with that drop it still leaves 495,000 unemployed veterans.
- Of the total reported unemployed veterans, 23,000 of them were women.
- The VA states only 4,338 women veterans were homeless in 2015. That leaves over 18,600 women veterans (with and without children) uncounted and unemployed.
- Many of these women are in fact homeless; however, they don’t meet the current HUD definition for the PIT Count.
- The VA counts its sheltered veterans primarily using the Homelessness Screening Clinical Reminder (HSCR). The biggest issue with using this process as a reporting/screening mechanism for homeless veterans is that 82% of women veterans do not use the VA for health care services (as reported by Disabled American Veterans).
- The HSCR screening reached over 3 million veterans. There are currently over 22 million veterans in the United States, with 2.2 million of those being women veterans.
For many of our returning women veterans the transition to civilian life has been difficult, often torn between family needs and being trapped outside the system. Women veterans experiencing permanent or chronic homelessness arrive at that condition due to a variety of reasons:
CDWV Case Management Services
Each woman will be assisted by a case manager who will identify her specific needs and provide a range of services including:
Capital District Women Veterans Program Mission
The mission is to provide supportive services, housing, and community, enabling women veterans in need to return to productive and independent roles in their communities and families.
CDWV is a unique 501(c)(3) charitable not-for-profit organization prepared to fulfill its mission.
CD Women Veterans Program will stay up to date on all current research and opportunities for women veterans.
CD Women Veterans Program will advocate for all women veterans and provide specific assistance as needed.